The quaint, brick-front building at 1066 Eugenia Place has been a dental office since 1965. Its first occupant was Dr. Harry Haldeman who practiced from 1965 to 1980 when he retired from dentistry. Dr. Haldeman’s practice was purchased by Dr. Earl Ness who practiced from 1980 until 1987 when he moved to Washington to further his education in a dental specialty. Dr. Berkenmeier and Dr. Sugiyama purchased the practice in 1987.
Drs. Berkenmeier and Sugiyama were classmates at the University of Southern California, School of Dentistry, Class of 1984. They were married shortly after their graduation and celebrated the birth of their daughter in 1986. The desire to raise their daughter in a small town environment prompted the search for an available practice in a supportive community. The desire was well met by the move to Carpinteria in August of 1987.
Since coming to Carpinteria, they have been active in the community’s civic, business, and professional organizations and have served on many boards over the years. Current involvements include Rotary Clubs of Carpinteria and Carpinteria Morning and the Carpinteria Valley Chamber of Commerce. Professionally, the doctors are active in the Santa Barbara-Ventura County Dental Society, California Dental Association, American Dental Association, and the Academy of General Dentistry.
It is their intention to continue serving the Carpinteria community as dental professionals and as civic minded citizens for the foreseeable future contributing to the health and well-being of their patients, community, and profession. Drs Berkenmeier and Sugiyama are committed as ever to learning the latest techniques for advanced care and investing in only the best technology to serve patients